January 23, 2007

Danish Hot Dog

(DIY and Delish.) Le César, 34 rue de la Tour d'Auvergne in the 9th (much recommended).

Posted by clotilde at 3:37 PM

Comments

Let's get things right here regarding "Danish hot dogs" Danes eat a long skinny dog called Roda Polsa (with a slash through the o's for pronunciation and spelling)They serve it on a piece of wax paper with a splash of hot mustard and sweet Danish catsup on the side, Bread is included only by request as are other things like fried onions and other items. They pick up the hotdog itself with their fingers and dip it into the mustard or catsup and eat it that way. They do not put it into a bun as pictured or as we Americans eat it.If you are representing Danish cuisine, get it right my friend.

Posted by Jerry on July 21, 2007 11:42 PM

"Danish hot dog" is simply how this dish was listed on the restaurant's menu.

While I appreciate your taking the time to correct this misnomer and tell us about the true Danish hot dog, I do think you could have produced the same effect using an amicable tone -- just something to think about.

Posted by clotilde on July 22, 2007 7:59 PM

You go girl!

Posted by Lisa on July 26, 2007 2:20 PM

It is very common to have a hotdog inside a bun in Denmark, although the bun is much smaller than pictured. The "ristet pølse" is one of the most popular types, and is served with crispy onions, pickles, and remoulade, just like you have pictured.

Posted by adventurefood on January 11, 2009 4:10 PM

I agree with everything said here. I sometimes dream of leaving the shackles of Corporia and opening up a novelty here in San Diego, a Danish Polse stand. I have fond memories of visting Tivoli in Kjobenhavn and enjoying at least 3 of these doggies a day! God Bless my parents for allowing me this excessive indulgence. I havent had one in about 30 years but the tasty memories will keep me going until I have one again.

Posted by Stefan V on April 8, 2009 5:26 AM

Good luck getting hold of the "top-secret" recipe used in these "dogs". You can't get it, and you can only by the best of the best with the equivalent of a license these vendors acquire by working their way into the trade- like getting your journeyman's / master's here in the states. Sorry, but you'll just have to save your $$$ and take that long awaited trip to Kobenhaven to taste these morsels! Even the best food alchemist will never disect the spicy ingredients used in Danish dogs.

Posted by Lars on July 13, 2009 4:18 AM