March 10, 2007

Afternoon tea @ the Pelham

15 Cromwell Place, London.

Posted by clotilde at 4:00 PM

Comments

This is a stone's throw from where I work, but I've never been there! Was the tea as good as it looks?

Posted by Rachel on March 11, 2007 6:13 PM

Rachel - It wasn't bad, but I find the décor not cosy enough for the afternoon, and the service left a bit to be desired. I prefer the Wolseley!

Posted by clotilde on March 12, 2007 2:38 PM

Oh, too bad! Next time you're in London try the Cadogan Hotel - gorgeous scones and you can tell all your friends you had tea at the hotel where Oscar Wilde was arrested. ;)

Posted by Rachel on March 12, 2007 10:46 PM

I am in London studying, and looking to go for high tea in a few weeks time. I hear conflicting opinions regarding where to go. The Ritz? the Wolseley? which is the best?!

Posted by lexi on March 13, 2007 12:04 AM

It's worth travelling from London to the Lake District for afternoon tea at Bank House, part of the Sharrow Bay Hotel. This must surely be one of the very best you'll ever find - and with magnificent views over Ullswater and the surrounding fells. They even put the cakes you couldn't manage to finish (there'll be some, trust me) in a white box topped with a fresh flower, to take away ...

Posted by adsum_iam on March 15, 2007 6:43 PM

Adsum - Good to know, thanks for the recommendation!

Posted by clotilde on March 16, 2007 9:45 AM

... and here's the photo to prove it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204510@N06/426547561/

Posted by adsum_iam on March 19, 2007 11:12 AM

sorry, if the above Flickr link doesn't work please go to Flickr & search under 'people' for me, adsum_iam

Posted by adsum_iam on March 19, 2007 11:19 AM

I went to The Pelham yesterday for afternoon tea. It was disappointing.

There are 2 wood panelled drawing rooms which are ideal for afternoon tea but we were told that these rooms were unavailable. I had booked in advance and specifically asked for one of these drawing rooms pointing out that we were celebrating a special occasion. Instead, we took tea in the restaurant at a dining table laid for dinner (knives, forks, wine glasses). In fact, it was two odd tables pushed together. The room was noisy with frequent passers by. It was cold and draughty (air conditioning which was not required). The tea was fine and the cakes were pleasant but the scones had the texture of bread.

The bill was 50% greater than the advertised price. I was entertaining guests and it was an inappropriate time to raise this matter with the hotel. Some you win, some you lose.

Posted by Jake Brumby on November 16, 2007 8:46 PM

I have reviewed a number of more low key places on my Afternoon Tea Total blog but for something posh I think The Lanesborough on Hyde Park Corner is really good. I took my mum there for her 60th Birthday and she loved it. It's also won the British Tea Council's award for Best Afternoon Tea for the last year or two.

Posted by Natalie on September 7, 2009 7:31 PM